Re: [opensuse] How to create a live CD/DVD of my installed system
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:08:55 +0100
On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 15:58 +0200, Stathis Iosifidis (aka diamond_gr)
wrote:
Hello,

Well, since the 12.1 is out, I can focus on medical.
Until now, openSUSE medical live cd was out with SUSE Studio. There's a
medical repository that can be added and also some programs that can be
installed.
The user must setup mysql and then install the programs correctly.

I was told that this can be done by KIWI. I read a lot of documentation.
First of all, I didn't understand what <ImageDescriptionPath> means.
I got this from the portal:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KIWI_Cookbook_Start_Cooking

So I read the manual
http://git.berlios.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=kiwi;a=blob;f=doc/kiwi.pdf

and it says something like config.xml file and the package that I want
to be installed, I must add the repository and then the package eg:

<repository type="rpm-md"/>
<source
path="http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/medical/openSUSE_11.4"/>
</repository>

after that make sure you have added the package in the list

<packages type="image"/>
<package name="openemr"/>
</packages>

The same thing I get from LiveSystem here
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KIWI_Cookbook_LiveSystem

So as far as I understand (since my major is medical and not technical),
this shows how to install the program but without being setup (with
mysql etc).

My question is what is the way to do that?
What is the way to make a livecd from the already installed system with
the software all set to be in use?

I think KIWI is rather manageable. IIRC, if you have an appliance set up
in Suse Studio, you can ask it to export a KIWI description of the
appliance. Then, after some fiddling to tell what repositories you need
and any other package changes you may wish to do, you can build the
image locally with kiwi.

An alternative it to start with one of the pre-defined kiwi
configurations, and add what you want. It could be as simple as adding,
in the config.xml file. the repository and packages you want added.

As to MySQL: there are hooks in kiwi that allow you to run
scripts/programs. These can be used to set up things specific to your
needs. Or, you can build your appliance in two steps: the first makes
the released image with programs and all. The second takes that image
and packages it for distribution. In between these two steps. you can
mount the image and do whatever you feel is needed. Like initializing
MySQL.

Thanks
Stathis

Yours sincerely,