[opensuse] USB, udev and serial numbers
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:25:59 +0100
I have a number of serial port <-> USB converters connected to a PC. I
need to ensure that I always talk to the same device no matter what is
connected on the USB port. So, I thought I would use the device's serial
number in a udev rule.

With 'lsusb -v' I see this:

idVendor 0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
idProduct 0x6001 FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
bcdDevice 6.00
iManufacturer 1 FTDI
iProduct 2 FT232R USB UART
iSerial 3 A7004luX

In /var/log/messages, I see this:

kernel: [ 2283.948108] usb 6-2: SerialNumber: A7004luX

The serial number is different for each converter. So it seems like the
value to use.

I have made a udev rule that should make a symlink to the device, and
relax the permissions:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{iSerial}=="A7004luX", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbp2",
OWNER="rst", GROUP="users"

After reloading the rules (udevadm control --reload-rules), I would like
to see the symlink created when I plug in the device. Unfortunately,
that is not the case.

For another device, I use SYSFS{idVendor} to determine the vendor.
iSerial seems to be in the same group of variables. Perhaps it is not
and only the lsusb listing makes it appear so.

A google of 'udev iSerial' returned nothing a all. How odd.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST