Re: [opensuse] quick question re word wrap protocol
* Dennis Gallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx> [12-12-11 13:46]:
I agree. My email client and editor are both capable of
(email-intelligent) wordwrap at a configurable length but the wrapping
is a poor substitute from seeing *properly* formatted text.

It goes back to email being a *text* function not requiring a gui.

I know it goes back to the pre-gui days; I was there, too. With my
horse & buggy. :) Now, don't get me wrong, I love horses and will
happily accomodate what the gods here require (if I may mix my
metaphors).

The reason I ask, is that when I shifted to fixed 78 column, I started
getting replies (outside the lists) coming back formatted like this:

This
will help her get maximum benefit as soon as possible, and with a lot less
effort
because I've included most of what she will need/want to learn to get
started.

And that is a real PITA. Suggestion? (I use KMail, and AFAIK the wrap
configuration is applied to all messages, whatever it is.)

your client is reformatting the text to your chosen line length which now
includes the "quote indicator characters", "> " and "> > ".

And btw, I don't know what you mean that "wrapping is a poor substitute from
seeing *properly" formatted text." Is that "from" a "for"? And what is the
"properly formatted" you are referring to?

referring to what you displayed above as a "real PITA" and I have
reformatted it below in my editor, joe. I used jed which has a mutt_mode
or mail_mode and automagically reformatted quoted text and was really nice
but switched to joe for some reason I cannot remember. Advancing age does
that to one :^). I may switch back just refresh my faulty memory.

This will help her get maximum benefit as soon as possible, and with a
lot less effort because I've included most of what she will need/want
to learn to get started.

Most of the format differences, colored text, pretty pictures, html, and
top/bottom/in-the-middle posting mess may be attributed to $ms and aol
which brought the mostly inconsiderate and impolite masses to the internet
and email. In the *day* you didn't want to be known as an "aoler" :^)