Re: [opensuse] quick question re word wrap protocol
On Monday, December 12, 2011 12:01 PM Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* David C. Rankin <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-12-11 11:03]:
On 12/12/2011 09:29 AM, Dennis Gallien wrote:
Does the community here have a "rule" regarding message word wrap?

Considering I can't even read your message in tbird without

scrolling, I would say -- "yes, please configure your mailer to wrap
at 78."

See: http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/img/misc/dg_wrapQ.jpg

(a screenshot of your message in thunderbird)

but the screenshot is of your *reply* :^)

I agree. My email client and editor are both capable of
(email-intelligent) wordwrap at a configurable length but the wrapping is
a poor substitute from seeing *properly* formatted text.

It goes back to email being a *text* function not requiring a gui.

tks,

I know it goes back to the pre-gui days; I was there, too. With my horse &
buggy. :) Now, don't get me wrong, I love horses and will happily
accomodate what the gods here require (if I may mix my metaphors).

The reason I ask, is that when I shifted to fixed 78 column, I started getting
replies (outside the lists) coming back formatted like this:

This
will help her get maximum benefit as soon as possible, and with a lot less
effort
because I've included most of what she will need/want to learn to get
started.

And that is a real PITA. Suggestion? (I use KMail, and AFAIK the wrap
configuration is applied to all messages, whatever it is.)

And btw, I don't know what you mean that "wrapping is a poor substitute from
seeing *properly" formatted text." Is that "from" a "for"? And what is the
"properly formatted" you are referring to?

Thanks.