Re: [opensuse] Telephone tethering, Dynamic DNS and general fun
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 08:55:08 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 12:46 -0500, James Knott wrote:

Tethering works, but you might also want to consider those "stick"
devices for wireless access. They appear to the computer as a dial
up modem and they do work with Linux too.

I have had mixed luck with them. The most common one in Sweden (A
Huwei from Tele2) almost works with Linux. There are endless
discussions about it. I even had one on this list a year or so ago.
But at the end of the day it does not work.

When I bought my USB GSM stick almost two years ago, I ignored all the
Telco "deals" and just went for an "iCON 505M" by Option:

https://www.distrelec.ch/icon-505m-umts-usb-stick/option/gi1505-11563/847919/it-&-zubeh%C3%B6r

I have not yet bothered with getting it to work with Network Manager, I
just plug it in, run a script, then use minicom for sending AT commands
to dial up.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.4°C)