Re: [opensuse] Telephone tethering, Dynamic DNS and general fun
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 21:41:46 +0100
On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 17:20 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

You wouldn't necessarily need DNS, your mobile unit could just open a
connection to e.g. your web-browser, and you'd know the client id.

Indeed some simple mechanism could let us obtain the IP address. Maybe
DynDNS is overkill.

Mainly in times of difficulty or support. I could even consider a
stupid solution where the system copies a file to a known IP address
that we could look at.
After that, the rest must be the regular service configurations.

Anyone else been there done that?

Last year I did have a look around for phones that would support
tethering, but I ended up buying a USB GSM modem instead.

We would need a system that works everywhere. We were thinkig a user
would use their own phone as they have all the local phone company
details sorted out. Of course they would have to have a connection that
allows this sort of thing.

--

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer