Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 12:26:08AM +0100, Hans Witvliet wrote:
[ 8< ]
Even though SuSE with its distro, manuals and OBS-repositories is far
more advanced and user friendly, the first step is still too steep.

Besides promoting the live images...
When installing SuSE the installer should ask just two questions:
1) Are you an advanced user (default:NO)

Not ebven this question must be asked. All we should offer is a small
and not very prominent button labled with 'Expert options'. A native
speaker might even offer a better wording.

2) if still in moron-mode, ask to keep any rubbish on the hard disk
(default: YES) and it dual boot with windows.
And install as much as possible office, games stuff.

Right. And never ask in the default workflow about which window manager
to use. Cause a new user doesn't know and care about this.

But this is all to much to understand to our beloved KDE and Gnome fans.

When do we finally manage to keep it simple stupid?

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team