Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 12.1 is not a major release
  • From: Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 15:32:16 -0800
On Thursday, November 24, 2011 06:19:41 PM Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Luedecke said the following on 11/24/2011 05:46 PM:
Yeah, our marketing could benefit from better clarity and a little less
hype and spin. Frankly though, unlike Canonical or RedHat which are
very top down... we on the other hand, despite our relation to SUSE are
given enormous freedom with our project. Whether that is good or bad is
up to the case or the opinion. But what that certainly does mean is
that the concept of say "project management" becomes more a matter of
herding cats than anything. And thanks to the fanboyism of the Gnome
and KDE guys, it sometimes is herding two battling herds of cats.

"Cats" is an unfortunate metaphor.
Mine are sweethearts, but I realise that the cat family includes
Panthers and Pumas (aren't those good names for a programming language?).
Imagine having hundreds of cats in an open field, and cowboys circling them
trying to herd them in one direction as one would do sheep. Then you see it is
an apt metaphor.

Now imagine two of these herds, each occasionaly wishing to do battle with
each other while the cowboys are trying to get ALL the cats moving in the same
direction.

--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador