Re: [opensuse] Remote login - openSUSE 12.1
On 11/17/2011 11:54 AM, James Knott wrote:
John Andersen wrote:
On 11/17/2011 10:21 AM, James Knott wrote:

As described in bug report #731087, remote login does not work in openSUSE
12.1. This is a feature that I use regularly. I can get a
remote desktop using the X :n -query<host> command, but while I get a
desktop, I cannot switch away from it, without losing the remote
session. Is there any other way of connecting via XDMCP that works in a
manner similar to the remote login?

tnx jk

Why not ssh in while allowing forwarding of X session?
XDMCP over insecure links has been a bad idea since the Pleistocene and
hasn't improved since.

X over ssh allows running only one app and that does work. However, it
doesn't provide the full desktop. Also, I'm not using it over an
insecure link. I use it only on the local lan.

Ok, I see your point regarding local network. I suspect X is limted to
127.0.0.1 on the target machine.

As to your first point, (only one app), that's not really true, I often ssh
into a remote machine, and immediately open up
multiple shells with something like "xterm &", or "konsole &".
And if I need a full GUI desktop, which is rare, I just type kde at the command
prompt and bob is my father's brother.