Re: [opensuse] Re: cable question
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 21:36:01 +0100
Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

On 11/15/2011 02:40 PM, Per Jessen pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:33:16 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Any machine you would want to hook up a serial console to :-)
Although the cable in question would not be really useful for that
- maybe as an extension.

Of course, that would imply the machine has a serial port on it to
begin with - seems rarer and rarer these days.

On office desktops and consumer PCs they're definitely an endangered
species, but e.g. HP Proliant servers still have them.

And there is a serial/usb dongle that will allow you to still usr
serial devices.

Yeah, the lack of a serial port on laptops probably prompted development
of those.

At least I have one that I may auction off sometime in
the future. :-)

Does it work with openSUSE?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.6°C)