Re: [opensuse] small installation help
Carlos E. R. said the following on 10/30/2011 10:08 PM:

On Sunday, 2011-10-30 at 21:22 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:

Just separate root, home, and swap. Don't overcomplicate yourself.

Having a /tmp isn't complicating things and if you have runaways you
don't want them consuming all of the partition the system is on.

It is for a beginner.

He can reinstall when he learns enough and can decide for himself what he
wants.

Tyro says he's excited by such matters as 'a secure environment'.

That means security matters such as not letting runaways lock up the
machine and consume all the disk space.

As I keep saying, the effort and complication required to add another
partition and file system at installation time is trivial and the
benefits are non trivial.

Saying its too complicated for a beginner when he already has to go
though the step and repeat of verifying the "suggested" partitions is an
insult to his intelligence and denying him an opportunity to learn.

"Beginner" does not mean "Stupid" or incapable or learning.
He has to "take the training wheels off" sometime.

This isn't throwing him in the deep end; we've given him a great deal of
material and references and encouraged experimentation. We should be
positive about him progressing.

Adding /tmp at installation is a small step.

--
Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits.
Thomas A. Edison