Re: [DIAGNOSED] Re: [opensuse] Howto repair - corrupt jpeg file - anything new out there?
On 9/20/2011 4:14 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 09/19/2011 04:59 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
<snip>

I'm going to run a few more tests with in on
11.4 and see if I can reproduce it. I'll let you know if I come up with
anything interesting.

What is the best way to format one of these disks? In camera? mkfs.vfat?

As a follow-up, I dusted off the old script I used to copy the files
from the SD card mounted in the card reader and tested on 2 separate
cameras. (one containing the original SD card where the corruption
occurred). After copying 69 photos directly through the card reader, all
were fine, none were corrupt.

After revisiting the issue, I am more convinced than ever it was a FAT
problem on the SD card that caused the original corruption. A new format
of the SD card seems to have corrected the problem. It is much nicer to
have the flexibility of transferring the photos via a script rather than
using a photo-management app to do it for you.

I'll continue to keep a close eye on the issue, but regardless of the
exact nature of the original cause - it's working like a champ now...

Doh... so, the original SD card has since been re-written? And all you have are files that were transferred while the corrupt fat was in effect? you don't have a raw dd image of the sd card before it was re-written?

If you had either the original sd card or a raw dd image of it, then PhotoRec or similar tool might have recovered a lot of images because it would scan the raw data without consulting the fat. But that path is not available if the original raw data is gone and all you have are files that were created according to the old probably corrupt fat.

Then again, if all you did was format the sd card and haven't yet written a lot onto it, maybe PhotoRec can still recover something from the card.

--
bkw