Re: [opensuse] Re: (Dovecot is faster and supports multiple formats -- unlike Cyrus
On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 19:37 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:

James Knott wrote:
Linda Walsh wrote:
I went from UoW IMAP to dovecot -- unlike Cyrus, it didn't require
I reformat my
email boxes (all in unix 'mbox format', as they all started as
Unix-mbox's)... into
it's custom format. And Dovecot is very fast....

I've been running UoW at home for years, where it has a single
account. While it generally works well, I find that if I leave
Seamonkey mail running and then access my mail from another computer
with either Seamonkey or Thunderbird, the Seamonkey on my main
computer often locks up, though for some reason, accessing my mail
from my Android phone does not cause this. I have seen some hints in
the Dovecot docs that it will fix this sort of problem. So, I may
change my home system from UoW to Dovecot, when I upgrade to a newer
version of openSUSE (currently 11.0). >>>>> I assume there
should be no difficulties in switching to Dovecot since it and UoW
both use mbox. <<<
---
Bingo!... That's a reason why I avoided 'Cyrus' like plague, and why
I moved to dovecot... Dovecot is
much better about handling multiple accesses.

False. Cyrus handles concurrent access *VERY* well. And recent 2.4.x
releases have dramatically improved performance beyond what was
available in 2.3.x

W/mbox, I have 458 mail folders under 29 dirs with 212638 messages
dating back to about 1995...**

I don't think what you are describing is mbox.

MBOX: "All messages in an mbox mailbox are concatenated and stored as
plain text in a single file"

What you are describing is maildir or maildir+ or maybe MH

With Cyrus, that would be
about 487 directories, with 212638 files. -- w/each file rounding up to
the 4k fs-block size.
Um...and somehow, doing a search on that w/ 200K opens .. seemed
like a recipe for poor performance.

Or a search on Cyrus would use the SQUAT full-text index and be very
fast; or a meta-data search would use on of the maintained meta-data
databases and not walk the message tree either.

yeah, Cyrus would have been faster on that stat using 'find mail -type
f|wc -l',
but any other filtering?

And doing any such thing is bad. If you have an IMAP server you should
access your mail via the server.