Re: [opensuse] Can't change password on 11.4
  • From: Mark Goldstein <goldstein.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:34:47 +0300
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since some updates last week, I am unable to use the passwd command to
change passwords.  When I try, I get an error message:

Unable to generate a salt. Check your crypt settings.
Cannot create salt for blowfish crypt
Error: Password NOT changed.
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

Any fix for this?  I can use Yast to change passwords, but that means bring
the employees into my office to change their own passwords.

I had the same problem.
I guess it is due to the fix of long-hidden bug in blowfish library.
My workaround was to change the password for the user from root account.
It worked and after that the user could change the passwords again.

Regards,
--
Mark Goldstein