Re: [opensuse] installing openSUSE on an older pc
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 04:24:12PM +0200, Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Montag, 29. August 2011, 09:20:34 schrieb Oliver Kullmann:
The key word here are VIRTUAL DESKTOPS: this is in my vision of the desktop
the key element, moving away from the bad image of a "desktop", moving
towards, say, a "building" with many rooms, for the many different
(permanent!) activities a complex human being is involved with. KDE4
embodies the microsoft/apply direction, with basically one big window open
plus a lot of gadgets around it, for distraction. Virtual desktops do no
longer work with KDE4; perhaps with version 4.11 it might work again, and
then it could be tolerable. However, there will come QT5, with it KDE5, and
this will then likely be the end of KDE.

Did you read Bob's email from yesterday in this thread before posting?

Could you please be more specific? Which e-mail (and which content in it)?
And I didn't find an e-mail posted by "Bob", but perhaps I'm not familiar
with what "Bob" stands for (I thought "Robert").

who prefer KDE3 resp. KDE4 is precisely the use of virtual desktops:
those who prefer KDE3 will have a large (so well, just 20 is
possible) number of virtual desktops, in permanent use (for example on
my workstation I had always around 200-300 windows open; as I said,
I want to live in a "house", or "building", not on a shallow "desktop"),
those who prefer KDE4 will not care much about it.

See above and then you might see why I do not get that argument.

Again, would be great if you could be more explicit.

Perhaps you mean the claims that for some people virtual desktops seem
to work? See the bug reports in KDE under my name, many of the recent
ones have to do with virtual desktops and their bugs (these I think
I remember we all had (nearly) in KDE3, but they were cured). These bugs are
facts.
And nothing happens about them (this seems to be another fact, though a weaker
one,
since behind the scences things could change).

Oliver