Re: [opensuse] installing openSUSE on an older pc
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:24:12 +0200
Am Montag, 29. August 2011, 09:20:34 schrieb Oliver Kullmann:
The key word here are VIRTUAL DESKTOPS: this is in my vision of the desktop
the key element, moving away from the bad image of a "desktop", moving
towards, say, a "building" with many rooms, for the many different
(permanent!) activities a complex human being is involved with. KDE4
embodies the microsoft/apply direction, with basically one big window open
plus a lot of gadgets around it, for distraction. Virtual desktops do no
longer work with KDE4; perhaps with version 4.11 it might work again, and
then it could be tolerable. However, there will come QT5, with it KDE5, and
this will then likely be the end of KDE.

Did you read Bob's email from yesterday in this thread before posting?

Just looking at current developments in KDE (and QT), one sees that it
develops in a fundamentally wrong direction: it's all about tiny devices,
consumers, not the enlightened person who needs a powerful system, but the
consumer who needs distraction from his/her alienated work place, and who
shall to be tied up in the system, without control.

A fact: I have submitted many bug reports to KDE over the years.
With KDE3, altogether there have been over 1000 e-mails exchanged.
To everything there was a reaction, a discussion, mostly finally
some solution.
With KDE4 I only got two small reactions yet, which didn't touch
the real subject. It might be that they are overwhelmed with crash
reports. But I also think that anything which concerns the core
desktop is no longer of importance for KDE.

My fact: I submitted lots of bugs and lots got fixed. However there are a lot
of KDE3 bugs that got closed as unmaintained and will never get fixed.

P.S.P.S.P.S. I conjecture that the dividing line between those
who prefer KDE3 resp. KDE4 is precisely the use of virtual desktops:
those who prefer KDE3 will have a large (so well, just 20 is
possible) number of virtual desktops, in permanent use (for example on
my workstation I had always around 200-300 windows open; as I said,
I want to live in a "house", or "building", not on a shallow "desktop"),
those who prefer KDE4 will not care much about it.

See above and then you might see why I do not get that argument.

Sven