Re: [opensuse] KMix locking up recently
  • From: John Bennett <hornetster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 08:24:25 +1000

Thing is, it didn't use to be this way.  I've been using the same equipment
for
several years now (I think I started with OpenSuse 9.2 on this particular
laptop)
and the sound has gotten worse with each new release.  The current version
does
not expose all of the channels the sound chip supports, no base/treble
controls,
no ability to control PCM separate from digital audio or even show the other
channels in Kmix, and it lets the center woofer speaker in the bottom of the
lap top run wild, uncontrolled by any volume sliders.

So its shedding capability AND sounding worse with each new version.

The intel/sigmatel sound chip is NOT THAT BAD of a chipset.  Any noise you
hear
was pro

But every tweek you do puts the whole thing at risk. Its a house of cards
right now.

I admit I haven't been keeping up with developments in this area and I don't
fully
understand all the new pieces and where they fit in.

Phonon?
Pulse?
Alsa?
GStreamer Backend ?
Xine Backend  (Really? load A video player for sound output?!?!!)

And I thought it was just me.... :-)
I have tried using the different backends, with varying degrees of
success... Still find that xine seems to be the best "all round" one,
(even though it is now deprecated..??) Spent hours the other day
trying to figure out how to successfully rip a CD - kept getting them
breaking up - only to change the backend (to xine), and found the
problem was with the 'playing' not the 'ripping'....
John.