Re: [opensuse] Why does new NFS client not configure -&- mount.nfs starts before the network is up!
  • From: Tim Hempstead <thempstead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 08:31:54 +0100
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:24 AM, LLLActive@xxxxxxx <LLLActive@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 01/05/11 18:16, Stan Goodman wrote:

On Sunday 01 May 2011 at 19:02:27 (GMT+2) Wolfgang Mueller
<wm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 05/01/11 14:39, Stan Goodman wrote:

The client is on a v11.4 laptop. The entries in YaST>   NFS client
are:

Server: poblano
Remote directory: /home/stan
Mount point: /home/stan/nfs/poblano (which exists)
NFS type: nfs
NFSv4 is unchecked
Firewall port is open on all interfaces (for the time being)

fstab contains the line:
"poblano:/home/stan  /home/stan/nfs/poblano  nfs  defaults 0 0"

An attempt to write this configuration results in:
"Unable to mount NFS entries from /etc/fstab"

I must be doing something foolish, but I don't see it.

Did you configure the server's export file? If not, add the
following line to poblano:/etc/exports

Here are the entries in YaST>  NFS Server (in poblano):

Start server is checked
Directories to export: /home/stan
Hosts: chipotle (the laptop)

I think that already does what you write below.

+-----

| /home *(rw,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)

+-----

or, if you want to limit the nfs access to /home/stan only:

+-----

| /home/stan *(rw,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)

+-----

Yast may help you to do this. Select "NFS Server" in
"Network Services".

It usually does, but it seems not to help now. As I have been doing for
many moons, I have been doing all this configuration in YaST. Something
else must be missing.

Bye,
Wolfgang

Hi all,

I have come across this problem today. I have two openSUSE 11.4 systems, one
as NFS Server and the other as user with all its data on the NFS server. The
idea is to centralise the data pool of 6 systems, on a raid 10 system that
also acts as file/nfs server and making DAR backups with scripts and cron
onto USB external disks. So the NFS is crucial. I do not have Samba or any
Win systems.

The problem started with not being able to get NFS to work at all between the
newly installed 11.4 system (server) and 11.1 systems. I then did a NFS
client setup with yast on a 11.4 system, and the NFS client could not mount
the fstab nfs mounts when it completes the setup.  Manually mounting was
without problems.

 That led me to this thread.

Then I restarted the 11.4 client system, and it hung at the point where the
nfs "Starting NFS client services: sm-notify" and then "Mounting network file
systems ... mount.nfs: connection timed out" occurs. NFS is not mounted,
because it tries to mount before the network is up.

This turned out to be a bug: 694461 - mount.nfs starts before the network is
up!I get the NFS to mount with a script before I can get to my data, but this
is very unsatisfactory. There has been no movement since 16-06-2011, only
some workaround.

I found using NFS 3 on both systems to be more stable. On a Mac and Linux
WLan the drives and some directories would sometimes report " .... *.odt does
not exist". On the NFS Server I also had to clean the /etc/exports by hand,
redo the server config with yast, because it caused the "cannot mount nfs in
fstab" error that the first problem has, i.e. it does not configure in the
clients. Once I got everything cleaned and as NFS3, all works, besides the
mount problem at boot time.

Any ideas to fix the bug 694461will be welcome.

Al

Shouldn't the line in fstab have _netdev instead of defaults to tell
the system to attempt mounting the remote share after the network is
fired up?

i.e.

poblano:/home/stan /home/stan/nfs/poblano nfs _netdev 0 0

Regards

Tim

--
Tim Hempstead