Re: [opensuse] Simple Network Booting Solution?
On 7/3/2011 1:49 PM, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
I already know how PXE works, etc. That's not an issue.

The issue is I want to network boot openSUSE. Not an installer. I've
read all the KIWI-LTSP stuff on the wiki but there aren't clear
instructions and seems outdated (the documentation at least).

All I was able to determine is in SUSE Studio website PXE images are
disabled, but "SUSE Studio Onsite" is a paid (how many thousands? 50
thousand?) system that can build PXE booting images. That's basically
all I need, build an image with a GUI and boot it over PXE. Even if I
could boot the LiveCD over PXE, that would be fine. Is there a way to
convert some image I build in SUSE studio to PXE image? What is even
the difference? Just the proper support in initrd?

Anyone have working recent instructions on how to accomplish this? All
I need is to boot a (single) machine over PXE and run firefox.

I'm travelling at the moment but if no one else answers in the next few days I will by next week. I don't know any especially easy/automatic ways or any especially short recipies off the top of my head, I just know I've set up opensuse to boot from pxe and have a nfs root on a diskless box on my TV at home a while back and it wasn't undoable.

If no better answer, then I'll just go over that stuff again and see what the non-obvious gimmicks were. Just in case no one even answers or says it's not possible etc.

--
bkw