Re: [opensuse] Router? Splitter?...
On 06/24/2011 08:04 AM, Insomniac wrote:
On Friday, June 24, 2011 00:47 Per Jessen wrote:
Insomniac wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting satellite internet, since all the dial-up
ISP's are making it harder and harder for me to stay online the amount
of time that I do (I'm disabled and being on the computer is all I
have to keep myself occupied and from going insane with nothing to
do).
I guess xDSL is not an option?
Unfortunately, no. I'm so far out in the country that DSL nor cable are
anywhere near here.

<snip>

Also, will our opensuse 11.3 pick up this new connection readily? Or
will I have to do a bunch of cli stuff and wondering what and how to
get connected?
You would set up your Linux box(es) with wireless and DHCP, and that's
pretty much it.
A wireless router would mean I'd also have to purchase some kind of wireless
card to stick in each of our MOBO's, correct? If true, would going the wired
route be easier (other than running the wire itself through the house as
needed)? Would all I still needed to do is make sure DHCP is installed?

JB

There are wireless adapters that plug into a usb port. No opening the
computer, no adding cards. Most laptops already have wireless built in.
--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.
M. Greeley