SV: SV: [opensuse] vmtools problem...
  • From: "Anders Norrbring" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 23:51:55 +0200
On 6/21/2011 12:59 AM, Anders Norrbring wrote:
On 6/19/2011 1:09 PM, Anders Norrbring wrote:
Has anybody else seen this when trying to run vmtoolsd in a VMware
Server or
ESXi virtual machine? Guest is 11.4..

I'm confused. What OS is the host? What OS is the guest?

[ warning] [vmtoolsd] The vmsvc service needs to run inside a
virtual
machine.

Seems a bit odd.

Anders.

It almost sounds like you are trying to install the tools in the
host
instead of the guest.

After copying the Vmware tools to the to the Virtual Machine you
untar
it and
then you ran /~vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl (as root),
Right???

Wrong.. ;-)
I don't use the VMware tools from VMware, but the open vmtools
distributed with the opensuse 11.4, the version from VMware won't even
compile on 11.4. And no, I'm not trying to install on the host...

The host is running opensuse 11.1 x86_64 since that's the latest
version supported by VMware Server 2, the guest is opensuse 11.4
x84_64.

Anders.

Very odd.
I have Vmware Workstation, and I have two licenses, one for a windows 7
host and one for my Linux host. (11.4)

I have a Opensuse 11.4 guest in both machines, and had no trouble
installing tools via the recommended
Vmware installation method which compiles several components. Other
than having the headers and a competent
compile environment installed in the Virtual Machines, I had no
particular problem getting this to run.

I'll have to look into it again, but ideally I'd be able to run the open
vmtools distributed with openSUSE, then I don't have to recompile with every
kernel update..

Anders.