Re: [opensuse] Ontological Relevance
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:40:04 +0200
Am Montag, 20. Juni 2011, 07:00:32 schrieb Anton Aylward:
Anders Johansson said the following on 06/20/2011 12:43 AM:
You can use akonadi with an LDAP address book

I think you are so massively missing my point.
You last line illustrates that wonderfully.

No. Because without akonadi the address book cannot do anything, i.e. not
access ldap/vcf files etc. because that functionality was moved out. Same for
kmail and its email data/transports.

What I'm talking about is SILOs.
As in "Splendid Isolationism".

If I have an LDAP address book then I can use that with Thunderbird and
KMail. What use is Akondai?

Akonadi has agents that talk to ldap, vcf files/folders, imap, pop, groupdav,
google calendar etc. Of course every single KDE app could do that on its own
but it would be a waste of resources to duplicate that code. Thus KDE apps
move towards using the akonadi agents and hence do not have to worry about the
actual "talk to the service" but can concentrate on the actual app and its
features – not the data management. So developers can concentrate on one agent
and fixes in that agent will benefit all apps using akonadi. If you do not use
kdepim, you will not need that bit of akonadi. If you do not use anything that
uses akonadi you will not need akonadi.

There's my LDAP server on my 'database server' machine.
Its there so things like addresses, DNS etc can be shared by all of the
LAN. The OS has its cache and I'm sure the underlying database engine,
be it MySQL or plain text files does its own caching, and the LDAP
server does its caching. Maybe even my local LDAP client is caching.
What do you want to be my MUA is caching?

And why am I using LDAP in the first place?
Because it offers a standard API to all the applications that use it.

So you are asking me to use Akondai, which caches this data further and
offers a standard API ....

No. Kmail and the address book use akonadi to not have to worry about data
management and retrieval. They outsourced their data management – if you want
to put it that way – in order to share that functionality rather than
duplicating it in each and every app that wants to have access to ldap, email
etc. Leaving alone the different apps keeping their instance of accessing ldap
in memory.

* Your concept of 'personal' and mine have only a slight overlap
* The Applications I want to have share that data aren't the ones
you are working on - SILOs again
* You're hard coding it in rather than making it a plugin option

The plug-in option does not make sense. It would be a duplication of code if
e.g. the kdepim address book would have its own methods to talk to ldap and
additionally to that the methods to talk to akonadi which then talks to ldap.

Sven