Re: Here we go again. (was Re: [opensuse] 11.4 - is 'tracker' 'beagle' in disguise?)
On 05/08/2011 09:05 PM, Carl Hartung wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2011 20:38:21 +0200
Togan Muftuoglu<toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snipped>
As long as it is recommended not required by packages, if it is
default or not, doesn't bother me. yet to make it a required part of
packages and forcing the user either accepting and fighting to stop
it afterwards or not accepting and working with the broken dependency
is much worse the sounds.
These are my feelings, exactly. Default or not is much less
the issue than the unnecessary dependencies. However, since that aspect
of the problem has already been exquisitely described, I'd like to try
another track:

I think the proponents of these indexing utilities need to do a better
job of explaining the use cases and benefits. If there are time savings
and conveniences to be enjoyed, *sell* them to me. Don't sneak the
software in the back door while I'm not watching. Don't leave me
swearing and scratching my head and investing time diagnosing<what
is claimed to be> a non-problem.

In fact, if these indexers are truly as fantastic as is claimed, then no
expense to properly educate the community, including me, should be
spared. *Whet* my appetite. *Make* me thirsty. I want to *drool* with
anticipation over that very first hard disk grinding experience. Really.
I won't complain if the benefits are really that great.

As for my system, there simply is no way to escape that initial hard
disk grinding behavior, and my environment is not all that unusual. Each
new Linux displaces a prior installation. It 'wakes up' in a large,
mature, well organized and densely populated *already existing*
filesystem. It doesn't take just a few minutes to index, it takes many
many many minutes and it repeats at random; when you least expect it.
It works very hard and takes over the entire disk IO.

On Mon, 9 May 2011 01:59:23 +0200