Re: [opensuse] Re: kde used nvidia drivers? [Sorta SOLVED]
On Fri 06 May 2011 at 18:22:34 (-0300 UTC) Michael Powell wrote:
Philipp Thomas wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2011 18:20:09 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer
<roger@xxxxxx> wrote:

NEEDED libX11.so.6
NEEDED libXext.so.6
NEEDED libXdamage.so.1
NEEDED libXfixes.so.3
NEEDED libXxf86vm.so.1
NEEDED libdrm.so.2
NEEDED libpthread.so.0
NEEDED libdl.so.2
NEEDED libc.so.6
OK.

So I think that must be the problem. /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.256.53
seems not to belong to any RPM, while all the others belong to
x11-video-nvidiaG02-270.41.06-5.1.i586. So I do not think X should be
These are the OpenGL replacements from nvidia. If they weren't removed
when uninstalling the Nvidia packages they must have been installed by
using the Nvidia installer. As /usr/X11R6/lib takes precedent over
/lib these are found first and thus overridide the mesa ones. Deleting
them should suffice to get rid of the mess.

Philipp
There is an --uninstall switch that can be passed to the NVIDIA-Linux-some-
x.y.z-version.run which is theoretically supposed to remove these, if indeed
they are leftovers from such an install.

I also usually go to init 3 and use lsmod to ensure the nvidia kernel module
is not being loaded, just to be on the safe side.

-Mike

Sorry to jump in but I recently got a similar issue when I get new
kernel for openSUSE 11.4 through update manager.

Nvidia drivers also went upgraded but version of these was not compliant
for the latest kernel release so I had to make a workaround by creating
a symbolic link from nvidia.ko to newer kernel module libs.

Apologies to be not clear enough but I can't supply further details
since I'm far away from my linux box.

Just wonder know why this kind of things are still happening and why
Nvidia drivers are sometimes not updated in parallel with kernel releases.

Cheers,

--
Marco Calistri
It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety.