Re: [opensuse] net install via (transparent) proxy
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 15:06:05 +0200
Lars Müller wrote:

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 02:47:17PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Lars Müller wrote:

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 01:09:37PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
I've just done two identical network installations of 11.4 after
one another, and would have expected the second one to benefit
from the fact that the first one had already retrieved everything
required. However, according to squids logs, I had 61 hits and
roughly 2500 misses. Not a single RPM was cached.

If you used download.openSUSE.org this might be the side effect of
the download redirector (MirrorBrain).

I used the vanilla ISO as downloaded from
http://download.opensuse.org/.

Then you only download the updates released after general availabilty
of 11.4. And the big pieces are handled very well by patch RPMs.

Therefore your download at all must be small if you only use the
default oss, non-oss and update package repositories.

The NET iso only has about 100Mb. Everything else is downloaded.

I would check the squid log for the same rpm (e.g. rpm-4.8.0-27.1).
If MirrorBrain redirected to two different servers the http proxy
can't know that the content is the same.

It uses a few different mirrors - e.g. for kernel-default:

a) which version (e.g. 2.6.37.6-0.5.1)?

kernel-default-2.6.37.1-1.2.2.i586.rpm (GA 11.4).

b) full or delta rpm?

Full.

But it's irrelevant, I can pick any other bigger package, it is still
split across multiple different mirrors. (isn't that what metalink is
good for?)

The only workaround I see at the moment is to use a particular
mirror instead of download.openSUSE.org.

Yeah, that's easy, I could also just run my own local mirror, but the
idea here is to make this happen transparently without any additional
typing. Put in the USB or CD, boot and start the installation, and
let squid handle the cacheing.

Looks at all like a bug or better a missing feature to me.
openFATE is eager to get your input.

Sounds more like a bug to me - "we provide the proxy= command line
option, but cacheing is disabled due to our infrastructure".

Anyway, is this really mirrorbrain causing the problem? I'm sure
I've seen Peter Pöml claim that mirrorbrain had no problems with
squid.

It's not MirrorBrain which is causing this.

Right, I thought so too. I guess I'd better open that bugreport.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.3°C)