Re: [opensuse] Funny/Sad story about Philips SPC530NC webcam on 11.4
On 19:06 Tue 12 Apr 2011, C wrote:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 18:15, Marco Calistri wrote:
The funny is that finally I can use my Philips SP530NC Webcam, including
its embedded microphone within openSUSE 11.4

The sad is that to do it I have once again to use Microsoft Windows Xp
as VirtualBox guest!

Several months and kernels passed since my bug-report, but sadly nothing
changed

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/wmeLDzcjeC9ggvstjU9V

The same identical issue is still present on 11.4.

This is one of the reasons why sometimes is better to have a "Microsoft
option" near of you.

Or... you do your research and buy a webcam that is known to work in
Linux... like a Logitech webcam. You cannot expect every device out
there to work in Linux - we all know this sad fact. This is not to
say that you cannot help out and get another webcam model working....
but... well, it pays to pick known working hardware vs. any random
thing off the shelf in your local consumer electronics shop.

The easiest thing to do is to pick a camera here:
http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

If you are stuck in a store urgently needing to pick up a camera I
believe that UVC-compliance is a logo requirement for Windows Vista and
Windows 7 so if it has one of those logos it should work.

Good luck,

Brandon