Re: [opensuse] horrible perfomance problems with powerful laptop
  • From: Leonardo <sombriks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 12:44:25 -0300
I suggest upgrade if applicable.

2011/4/3 Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hello,

finally, the performance of Suse 11.3 (all updates applied)
on my laptop (i5 quadcore, 4GB) is so awful, one needs to find
out the reasons (or change the distribution, or whatever).
I hope I find some help here. According to my experience, it's
best to start trying to establish some real facts (which, unfortunately,
seems to be already a non-trivial endeavour).

One basic problem, which I already encountered with previous Suse versions,
is that the frequency setting doesn't work: after a few days of running,
at least one of the four cores will be set to a lower frequency.
To eliminate this (but see below) I set in the BIOS "no frequency scaling".
The frequency shown in Ksysguard since then is constantly "2,394 MHz" (but
this
can't be; see below).

Another basic problem is that (reliably) after "sleeping" or "hibernation"
the process scheduling doesn't function properly anymore, and typically all
processes (whatever the numbers --- I tried hundreds) are scheduled only on
two
or sometimes even only on one core, while the other two or three cores are
idle.
Of course, would be great if this malfunction would be treated (finally, I
thought
Linux would be about speed; apparently these problems don't occur with the
windows 7
still on that Laptop (though I don't really run that)).
But to ignore that, and for the following I have always rebooted the Laptop
(as if it
would be windows).

Direct after reboot everything is exactly as it should be. I have various
computers, on which I perform (a lot of) scientific computations, where I can
measure the times reliably, and the times are as they should be.

But after a few days of running (and I have tasks, which necessarily run over
weeks) performance becomes very weak. It doesn't show up on Ksysquard (or
top),
there the percentages and frequencies are the same, but for example Kde
sticks like glue (reaction time for any button press at least a second, and
if you wait for another week, it's  5 seconds; scroll bars become unusable).

More reliably, the computations I run become a factor of 5 to 10 (in words,
five to ten(!)) slower. Just running one process, memory usage about 50%.
So nothing goes on, except that performance is awful.

To make these numbers more trustworthy to the outside world, is there some
standard (simple!) Linux tool/command to measure some (very) basic
performance?
I don't mean an elaborated benchmark set, but just a very simple common
program,
where people know what the running times should be? The only explanation I
have
for the slow performance is that the frequency goes down dramatically (without
Linux noting it), and that can be demonstrated with something very simple.
Of course, I have my own programs to run, and I can write a simple C program,
but I guess it would make communication much easier if one would have a
standard program.

Hopefully we can shed some light on that.

Thanks for your consideration.

Oliver