Re: [opensuse] Another NetworkManager problem...?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:00:36 +0200
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 09:44, C wrote:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 00:29, Don Raboud wrote:
If I go to YaST, Network, and set it back to Traditional ifup, then
network comes up immediately.  I can then switch it back to
NetworkManager, and network stays working, and I've got full access to
all features of the NetworkManager until the next logout/reboot when I
lose network again until I manually cycle it to Traditional and back
to NetworkManager.

So.... any thoughts on solving this one?  It's a minor inconvenience
since I don't restart or logout often, but.... it's something I'd like
to resolve if I can.

Not sure it if related, but do you have plasmoid-networkmanagement installed
instead of KNetworkManager?

According to

<http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_upgrade>

plasmoid-networkmanagement should be used from KDE45 onwards, but
I've done several installs of 11.4 and I always get KNetworkManager instead.

Not sure if it will help, but it might.

I double checked, and it's using the plasmoid instead of KNetwork
manager - possibly because it was a clean install vs upgrade?  I like
the plasmoid (offers a LOT more information about your conenction)
over the old KNetworkManager.  I wonder... I'll have ot go poke the
bug reports to see ifthere is a known issue with the plasmoid... oddly
though, I'm using the same install on my laptop, and there the
plasmoid is working fine to manage VPNs, wired NIC and WiFi.

No progress on this yet. I'm still having an issue with the Network
Manager plasmoid - haven't tried switching back to the old
KNetworkManager (I'd rather use the plasmoid). A second machine
running the same basic 11.4/KDE4 install is not showing the same
issue.... so I'm still stumped on this

C.