Re: [opensuse] Firefox 3.6.x v. 4.0x - Thoughts?
On 03/25/2011 08:56 AM, Jim Flanasgan pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On 3/24/2011 9:58 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

Well, FF 4 is supposed to be much more html5 compliant, bringing it more
up to date with newer standards. For example it is supposed to be able
to play H.264 video natively, without any plugins. I haven't tested that
yet as I blindly installed the mplayer plugin right after install, but
of course I need that for other formats anyways.

I don't like change just for change sake either. To me all the new
browser releases seem to be trying to copy Google Chrome, tabs on top,
minimal interface, etc. Even the new IE9 looks similar, and is more
html5 compliant than any of the new browser updates (which in itself is
humorous, (and Microsoft is pushing a campaign to get folks to stop
using IE6, the most non-standard browser ever made, and less secure)).
But the move of all these browser to be more standards compliant is
certainly a good thing, FF4 included.

In any case I'm liking FF4. It seems faster to me. And I like the 2
buttons for hidden menu and hidden bookmarks. I do have the menu hidden
with easy access thru that button, but haven't changed to the hidden
bookmarks as I will have to re-think how I handle things such as my
current bookmarks toolbar. But a quick reorganization will fix that too.

I am also starting to like Chrome, but haven't tried it on any of my
linux machines yet.

My 2 cents worth.

Jim F

The only major problem I have had is with saving images. The link is
there (save image as) but does not work. I need this to save check
images from my bank. For this reason I have gone back to 3.6.16

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998