[opensuse] Re: cannot set cpu frequency in 11.4
  • From: xPol <xtekhne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:03:48 +0100
Sven Burmeister wrote:

Am Dienstag, 15. März 2011, 17:59:00 schrieb xPol:
I have just switched to 11.4 (kde) and noticed that i cannot set the cpu
frequency in powersave mode.>
That's a feature, it does not make sense to set the frequency manually.

Is has. It helps to keep my laptop at noticeable lower temperature.
Any other way to do that?

Although the power manager profile is set to 'powersave', my cpu
frequency spends most of the time at its max value.

Run powertop so see what is causing this.

Here below the output of power top. Any hits to understand messages?

Thank you
--p

---- powertop output:

Top causes for wakeups:
43.6% (457.1) PS/2 keyboard/mouse/touchpad interrupt
23.9% (250.2) [kernel scheduler] Load balancing tick
12.2% (128.1) [i915, eth0] <interrupt>
10.0% (104.6) rekonq
1.9% ( 20.0) knotify4
1.4% ( 14.9) Xorg
1.4% ( 14.6) plasma-desktop
0.7% ( 7.8) [ata_piix] <interrupt>
0.6% ( 6.7) kmail

Suggestion: increase the VM dirty writeback time from 5.00 to 15 seconds
with:
echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
Suggestion: Enable the CONFIG_INOTIFY kernel configuration option.
This option allows programs to wait for changes in files and directories
instead of having to poll for these changes

no ACPI power usage estimate available

----