Re: [opensuse] Upgrading KDE 4.4 > 4.5 -- was: Graduated from "Absent trash icon" to disaster
On Saturday 05 February 2011 16:12:34 phanisvara das wrote:
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:01:48 +0530, Stan Goodman
<stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I understand correctly, it will take
activities to make it possible for me to assign a different wallpaper
image to each desktop (as I had with KDE3), and that would be the
most likely motive for me to adopt activities, at least initially.

nope, you can assign different desktop backgrounds and widgets already
in KDE 4.4:

systemsettings -> workspace behavior -> virtual desktops

it's just one checkbox that allows you to have different stuff on each
desktop. BUT i found this much more unstable under KDE 4.4 than under
4.5/6. earlier my desktop arrangements often got messed up w/o any
obvious reason, so that i resorted to backing up all plasma-related
files & directories in order to be able to restore them, not if, but
when disaster struck.

Glad to here this, and relieved to learn that disasters strike other
people too! One has just struck me now. There is no chance that I caused
it.

Before preparing to upgrade to KDE4.6, I found that the system wanted to
install essential patches. I debated whether to accept this or to pass on
it and upgrade KDE first. I took what turns out to be the wrong choice,
and accepted the patches.

When the smoke cleared away an hour or so later, I was asked to reboot,
which I did. The boot never finished, but froze while the chameleon screen
was still up, with the mouse cursor stuck in the center and the keyboard
dead. I reset, and the new reboot ended with a black screen, but with all
else frozen as before. I would like, if possible, to avoid reinstalling
v11.3 from scratch; if somebody has a better idea, please mention it.

Sometimes I would like things to work as advertised.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on