Re: [opensuse] Upgrading KDE 4.4 > 4.5 -- was: Graduated from "Absent trash icon" to disaster
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 13:43:51 +0100
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 13:37, Stan Goodman wrote:
On Friday 04 February 2011 14:19:50 Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Freitag, 4. Februar 2011, 12:53:35 schrieb Stan Goodman:
I want to avoid screwing up this installation as I did the earlier
one. A Google search for the "right" way to make this update shows a
bewildering variety of instructions with much inconsistency, and I
don't want

Why not just use the openSUSE-wiki?
 http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_upgrade

accidentally to install v4.5.5, so even the instructions on openSuSE
pages are suspect. Where can I find the RIGHT oS instructions for
upgrading to KDE v4.5.[null]?

Since there are only 4.5.5 or 4.6 packages available this is not
 possible unless you compile KDE yourself. And I would not know a
 sensible reason why 4.5.0 would be any better than 4.5.5 anyway.

The paragraph I copied was a response to a thread about v4.5.5 collapsing
after updates. I am trying to avoid unnecessary problems. I'll go to
v4.5.5 if that's what there is.

See http://en.opensuse.org/KDE_repositories

Stan, you may want to investigate going directly to KDE4.6.0. There
have been significant changes and bug fixes leading up to the 4.6.0
release. I'm using 4.6.0 on all installs running KDE, and it's - at
least on my machines - noticeably better than 4.5.5. You are starting
from a clean install of 11.3, so the upgrade to 4.6.0 could well be
worth it over 4.5.5.

C.