Re: [opensuse] Host name lookup on firewall
On 01/25/2011 02:39 PM, James Knott wrote:
I have a firewall running OpenSUSE 11.3 and dnsmasq. I use an external
DNS that provides host name lookup to my external IPv4 address.
However, if I ping that host name from behind the firewall, it somehow
pings the local address of the firewall, not the external address. I
see the DNS request from the computer to the firewall, but not from the
firewall to the external DNS server. How does the firewall know to map
the external name to the local interface? That name is not listed with
an IPv4 address in /etc/hosts on either the computer or firewall. The
external IPv6 address for the firewall is listed in /etc/hosts on the
firewall, but that shouldn't be a factor with an IPv4 ping.

You actually gave the answer yourself.

"I have a firewall running OpenSUSE 11.3 and dnsmasq." It is the dnsmasq
that is providing the info.
^^^^^^^

HTH
Togan