Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse] Split DNS? Solved
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:04:05 +0100
Marc Chamberlin wrote:

On 1/4/2011 3:03 AM, Philipp Thomas wrote:
* Marc Chamberlin (marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [20110103 06:29]:

As a user, trying to grok what is the model behind the file system
is not easy, nor can I find it well documented.
FUD! At the top of /etc/sysconfig/named you'll find

# Each time you start one of the daemons with the init script,
# /etc/named.conf, /etc/named.conf.include, /etc/rndc.key, and all
# files listed in NAMED_CONF_INCLUDE_FILES will be copied relative to
# /var/lib/named/.

What is so hard to understand here?

Philipp
Philipp - Using the NAMED_CONF_INCLUDE_FILES specification forces all
copies to be made from /etc/named.d which may be fine for a flat named
declaration without views. But how do I specify that I want separate
include files, using NAMED_CONF_INCLUDE_FILES for EACH view I define?.

Just name them all, separated by blanks. I also run multiple views and
that's how I do it.

Remember, I am TRYING to use include files to specify part of a view
declaration, NOT just adding in a set of zone statements.

Yes, that is understood. It really works fine.

I tried to fool around with this, for example -

NAMED_CONF_INCLUDE_FILES="internal/test.conf"

and created /etc/named.d/internal/test.conf

but that failed to copy test.com over to
/var/lib/named/internal/slave/test.com as I had thought it might.

No, the copying over of files is ONLY for config/include files, zone
files are never touched.

Instead I found these files copied over to
/var/lib/named/ETC/NAMED.D/INTERNAL/TEST.CONF and this is NOT a copy
relative to /var/lib/named as implied in the comments.

Mayby the comments are wrong, but copy is done correctly.

And EVEN IF this had worked, I suspect that I would have had to put my
test.com file in two places in order to use a relative include within
my views, both at /etc/named.d/internal/slave/test.com

What is that file - a zone file or a config file?

and at /etc/internal/slave/test.com because I still DON'T know how I
would specify the include statement for the view so that it would pick
up the test.conf file
from /var/lib/named/etc/named.d/internal/test.conf without confusing
the rcnamed script when it tries to also copy any files specified via
an include statement.

Just like normal - "include internal/test.conf".

There isn't a real example of using include files from /etc/named.d to
model after, and since I couldn't figure it out, I took a look at how
things were being done in /var/lib/named. I found
/var/lib/named/master and /var/lib/named/slave defined for a system
without views,

The zone files don't know about views, only the named config.

Having no real world model/example to work with, I am having to
infer/guess how to organize files for multiple views.

There is nothing to organize, Marc.

You define your views in the named config files, either as one or as
multiple files. Your views contains the zones as per your desires, and
identify which zone files to use. That's it. End of story.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-0.9°C)