Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse] Split DNS? Solved
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 09:15:19 +0100
Marc Chamberlin wrote:

On 1/1/2011 7:41 PM, John Andersen wrote:

On 12/31/2010 4:52 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:

3. Last, be careful of using rcnamed when restarting the server.
It can and will delete files and directories in the /var/lib/named
area without doing any kind of backup first. That is poor
programming on someone's part also and breaks a fundamental rule
of good computer science - NEVER delete or change user data
without backing it up first and making sure you have a good backed
up copy before making such changes, or deleting it!!!...
Its supposed to do that.

The files you configure do not live in that directory.
If you were making changes down in /varl/lib you were in the wrong
place.

John - I am going to disagree with you and this is what I am trying
to point out.... Some of the files under /var/lib/named do get copied
over from /etc and SOME DO NOT. For example the actual files
containing DNS records do NOT get copied over and therefore MUST be
edited directly under /var/lib/named/... As a user, trying to grok
what is the model behind the file system is not easy, nor can I find
it well documented.

Nevertheless, I will continue to argue that a more robust design would
compare time stamps on files to be copied over, and before any files
designated to be copied, the script should first back up the target
files. That is a far more friendly design and far safer form of a
programming practice. (you don't have to backup up to an infinite
depth either, limit it to say 10 levels or whatever....)

AFAIK, the copying over over config files from /etc/named* is to create
the chroot jail for named - there should be no reason for checking
timestamps etc, the jail must contain an exact copy of the
configuration.

The overall design of the file system supporting the bind/named DNS
server is really poorly thought out. Not only did I get confused and
lost time and data trying to figure it out, but I will further argue
that I do NOT understand why all servers cannot be architect in such
as way so that ALL of their files can be found under a single "root"
directory. And to me there is a real logical location - /srv/named
that should hold ALL the files for the DNS server. (as well as all
other servers such as /srv/tomcat6 /srv/ftp /srv/samba /srv/dhcp
/srv/mysql etc etc....)

All services COULD be re-configured that way, that is not a problem.
You're also free to reconfigure your own setup as you wish. However,
the default filesystem setup usually comes with the application itself,
and changing it too much might not be easy/optimal (depends on how
flexible the application is).

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.8°C)