[opensuse] Re: [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:07:32 -0500
Joachim Schrod said the following on 12/14/2010 05:36 AM:
Anton Aylward wrote:
Joachim Schrod said the following on 12/13/2010 02:12 PM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

What is it that they require from the Windows DHCP server that can't be
supplied by the Linux DHCP server?

Most probably, integration with AD.

DNS is a prerequisite for Active Directory.Active Directory cannot be
installed or configured without DNS. It really doesn't matter WHERE the
DNS comes from.

??????? DNS != DHCP

Read the whole article. It offers many 'scenarios' with varying
components implemented between Linux and Windows.

Nevertheless, it is also possible to run an AD infrastructure with
a foreign DHCP server. It will just be *much* more work without any
gain for the Windows side. That's why I wrote their reason is
*integration* with AD, not AD itself.

AD doesn't seem to care *where* the LDAP server is implemented.
My other posts & references addressed that.

Back when I worked alongside a Windows group they had a lot of the back
end AD services implemented on *NIX machines for various reasons.

I take then, it that you have yourself never designed, realized,
implemented, tested or run an AD infrastructure yourself?

Only for less than a dozen seats.
The site/employer I referenced had in excess of 5,000 seats.
I had to carry out a variety of security tests that centred around the
authentication systems. All AD, all authentication, all the DNS and
DHCP and files services and access control was handled by HP/UX machines
not by Windows servers. Gateways to services that were or that looked
like databases on AIX, SUN.

Windows accounts were still managed via the Microsoft GUIs, but as I
said, they didn't care WHERE the LDAP was implemented.

This was a VERY heterogeneous environment, not just Windows and BigIron
UNIX, but just about every database vendor and a lot of legacy
mainframes from a variety of vendors and a lot of specialized device
control hardware.

--
"I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and
dirty, you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders and