Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:42:40 +0100
On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 09:04 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 12/13/2010 08:38 AM:

I guess I am sending out feelers to see if anyone else has an openSUSE
diskless boot sequence (boot images on an openSUSE tftp server) that
involves a Windows dhcp server.

Hmm.
So you have control over the Windows DHCP server ...

In so much as we can control what it tells devices on our subnet. But is
it subnet-wide, which is causing part of the problem.

If this were me; the first experiment I'd try is cutting it out of the
loop altogether.

Not possible. On this network are other windows machines that require
the Windows dhcp server. If they were not on this network, then life
would be easy. But due to the infrastructure in this building, they need
to be on this subnet along with some other equipment.

Then I'd try configuring it as a relay agent -- yes I know its on the
same segment and isn't a router -- to the Linux server.

Interesting. Go on...

Finally I'd think about using MAC addresses in the configuration,
possible with a split subnet.

It is a subnet. It cannot be divided any more. At least not without
making more and different problems. It is a VLAN between two offices and
some equipment in the main server room.

Linux's dhcp server has an option to ignore unknown hosts. We were
hoping there could be some option in the Microsoft server to ignore
specific MAC addresses. No joy.

Don't rely on Microsoft being fully compliant with the standard or fully
implementing it.

I know. This is what bothers me.

--
The quality of a leader is reflected in the standards they set for
themselves.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST