[opensuse] Remote Firefox via ssh
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:40:03 -0500
When I was recently using http://software.opensuse.org/search to install some packages on my firewall, I used Firefox, installed on the firewall, to access that site. However, one thing I noticed is that when I start Firefox with ssh from an account that's also on the local computer, the local copy of Firefox starts up, instead of the one on the firewall. However, if I use a different account, including root, Firefox on the firewall runs as intended. I had previously noticed the same behaviour when attempting to run Seamonkey, on my main computer, remotely from my notebook. Generally, when running an X app remotely, the app on the remote computer starts. Why the difference with Seamonkey & Firefox? All computers involved are running some version of OpenSUSE (11.0 or 11.3).