Re: [Bulk] Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 20:20:16 +0100
Op 08-12-10 19:51, Anton Aylward schreef:
Oddball said the following on 12/08/2010 12:54 PM:

I do not quite understand: You read the messages on the server with
imap, and they stay there, until i remotely delete them?
pop3 you can choose to leave the messages on the server, or when you
change these the will be deleted on the server, but stay resistant
residing somwhere unseen in TB.
What is the real advantage(s) in imap above pop3?

Think about what you said.
"You (with pop3) can choose to lave the messages on the server"
But you normally don't.
And you _always_ download the message.

With IMAP you get (some) of the headers.
If and only if you choose, on the basis of the header, to read the
message, does it get downloaded.
You can filter or delete the messages without ever having read them.

I allways leave the messages on the server, because when i tested
alphas, sometimes the os was unuseble, and i needed my mail to be read,
therefore using other os or pc's.
However i do not choose to download only the headers, because i then
have to download every message i want to read seperately.
Lazyness and ignorance , i guess, not knowing until recently, that
deleting mail on the server, is not the same as deleting messages from
my client. I thought that mails i deleted with shift+del, were gone.
This however appears to be a mistake.
With the server settings in TB, i also can choose to delete messages
without having read them.

So, what is the real advantage of imap over pop3 again?

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (M9.) (Now or never...)

OS: Linux 2.6.34-12-desktop x86_64