Re: [opensuse] setting locale in openSUSE / KDE
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:22:12 -0500
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 11/29/2010 10:59 AM:

I'm not sure that you can set OOo to not use its own settings.

Like any proper Linux program, it uses the locale environment variables.

Not it doesn't
As I said in an earlier message, I tried

$ LANG=de_DE oowriter

and because I had previously set the internal language to English
(en_US) that what it stayed at. OOo ignored the environment.

I have verified this. If KDE would propagate them, it would all work
like magic. There is no need to configure openOffice to get the menus
and all in language X.

That may be so, but the question I asked was a bit different.
I have them set inside OOo; I can't see how to set them to 'nothing'.
Presumably if I could then I could test to see if OOo paid attention at
all to the value of LANG in its environment.

I can't say how much further OO takes this into
the documents you edit (spelling checks and paper size, for example).
But the OO user interface correctly follows locale settings.

The screen at oowriter: tools -> options -> language setings -> language
has

Language of
User Interface -- Pulldown field
Locale Setting -- Pulldown field

Neither pulldown has a 'nothing' or 'use enviroment' option.
You HAVE to choose some setting.

And as I said, with the envirment set to 'de_DE' they are both 'english'
and 'german' does not apear as an option for the first.

From this I conclude that the OOo user interace DOES NOT follow lcoale
settings.

The screen also has

Default Languages for Documents: -- Pulldown field.

If I manually set that to 'german' -it isn't set by the environment -
the yes the dcoument wants german text and spelling.

Carlos E. R. (earlier in this thread) says that GNOME propagates the
locale info. Not that this would carry much weight in KDE circles, I
guess.

OOo, Firefox, Thunderbird and a few others like Gimp and InkSkape are
Gnome-native, not KDE native. I don't have Gnome laoded so I can't try
out the obvious tests like "set langauge under Gnome the invoke under KDE".

But I suspect that there are many programmes that neither export not
import from the environment.

Ultimately its a case of "Use the Source, Luke"
However I don't have time to wade through it all.

--
Only the refusal to listen guarantees one against being ensnared by the
truth.