Re: EXTERNAL: [opensuse] Novell (and Suse) acquired by Attachmate
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 22:54:49 +0200
At 03:55:20 on Friday Friday 26 November 2010, "David C. Rankin"
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/24/2010 02:32 PM, jsa wrote:
Pam over at Groklaw has this to say:

Quote:
No doubt we'll find out in time. It is being reported that what it
will get is 882 patents. Blech. How many does Novell own? Is that
all of them? If so, will we get to watch Son of SCO, but with
patents this time? But keep in mind that the WordPerfect litigation
could be in this picture, and I wonder if this could be a kind of
deal to tactfully settle it out, with Microsoft paying to end it
this way? $450 million isn't a lot, though, so how could it be all
of the patents?
Nevertheless, selling any patents to Microsoft is like selling your
baby to a pedophile in the limited sense that you can reasonably
predict what it will do with the acquisition.

Novell's CEO is telling "valued customers" in an email that it's a
merger agreement, that Novell believes "the transaction is great
news
for our customers," that all contracts will be honored, and that the
IP sale to Linux's sworn enemy "will not impact customers",
whatever
that means. Not a word about Linux and what it means for SUSE.
Not a
word to reassure the community.
--endquote

The curiosity to me is why have all these seemingly reasonable
minded
people having picked up on those couple of sentences about the
intellectual property aspects of the deal. It had never really crossed
my mind before I saw Pascal's announcement. To me it was like seeing
fish in your bathtub. It certainly stood out.

Why would it shock you to see a fish in my bathtub?

I'm not worried about opensuse, I'm more curious about "what the
hell
are they talking about?"

--
Stan Goodman