Re: [opensuse] Non=generic icon in v11.3/kde4 desktop folder?
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 00:38:23 +0200
At 23:57:29 on Tuesday Tuesday 23 November 2010, Patrick Shanahan
<paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-23-10
15:29]:
I've placed in the Desktop Folder a link to a frequently used Java
app. KDE assigns to it a generic icon with a shapely but
uninformative large question mark.

I have other icons, in various formats, suitable for use with this
app. Is there a way to induce kde4 to use it?

There is a related matter that I would like to understand: In
v11.1/kde3, most, but not all, of the icons shown for the issues of
Scientific American that I keep in a folder were mini-images of the
respective covers; I have no idea why, if kde knew how to make
some
icons in this way, if failed to do so for others and had to use a
generic icon. In v11.3/kde4, ALL the icons are Acrobat symbols
(these are PDF files), with no cover images at all. Can this be
remedied?

Iianm, kde4 derives its properties from the <app>.desktop file. Look
for your <java-app>.desktop file and link to it in your Desktop Folder
rather than directly to the app itself. Or barring that, a
<right-click> on the app within the Desktop Folder will yeald access
to "properties" which provides a menu containing an icon that
represents the application. Clicking on that icon will give you a path
to assigning your own chosen icon.

As I recall, kde3 was quite similar but did not rely so much on the
<app>.desktop file and did not automagically select icons that were
not
directly linked to applications.

ps. negatively portraying kde4, especially relating it to kde3, does
not help you achieve anything and may discourage others from
lending
help! Ask you questions in a positive light!

I don't think I did that. I described the behavior under KDE3 to
illustrate that sometimes it acted as I would wish and sometimes it
didn't, and indicated that I didn't understand what caused the difference;
it seemed quirky to me at the time. I also said that KDE4 acts uniformly,
but in the way I do not prefer. I don't see that I paid KDE3 a great
compliment by doing this. What I would like to do is to induce KDE4 to
act in one of the ways that KDE3 had. It was descriptive, nothing more.

About a year ago I asked here if there was a way to associate a given
icon file with a file in KDE3, and was told that there was not, and I
didn't pursue that further. I am hoping that KDE4 can do better.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on