Re: EXTERNAL: [opensuse] Novell (and Suse) acquired by Attachmate
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:45:13 -0800
On 11/22/2010 7:17 AM, Peter Van Lone wrote:
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Damon Register
<damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
I am a bit curious about the part of the article that says
"Novell also announced it has entered into a definitive agreement for
the concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN
Holdings LLC, a consortium of technology companies organized by
Microsoft Corporation,"

I wonder what "certain intellectual property assets" means?
Microsoft gets Linux in the end?

Attachmate is going to operate a Suse business division, so I highly
doubt that there is any particular linux ip (which would not be legal
anyway) being transferred to the consortium. I'm betting it has to do
with some of the Novell products that don't fit with Attachmates
product plans -- what those are, I don't know. It will be interesting
to watch.

While Microsoft won't get opensuse, there were over 800 patents purchased
by the Microsoft front group. Some say this was purely defensive on the
part of Microsoft, not wanting these patents to fall into other hands.

However, I can't think of worse hands for them to fall into.

These may be the things that come back to haunt us when this group
starts shutting down Android, or some other key technology, even
if they don't directly affect Linux.

If these patents are the much hyped "cross licensed" technology which
composed a great deal of the MS-Novell agreement, it means MS is now
free to exercise its own patents, you, now, the ones that they have
claimed all along that Linux violates.

Add to this that Attachmate is a thinly-held private company and
the true ownership is not transparent, and could be bought out
at a moment's notice. It wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft
found an unlikely buyer, filled their pockets, and told them to
go out and buy something, then snapped up said buyer.