Re: [opensuse] irksome timezone question - dual boot laptop
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:12:24 -0800
Carlos,

You sent me looking and I found:

http://weblogs.asp.net/dfindley/archive/2006/06/20/Set-hardware-clock-to-UTC-on-Windows-_2800_or-how-to-make-the-clock-work-on-a-Mac-Book-Pro_2900_.aspx

It provides a registry key to tell windows the hardware clock is UTC.
I've just created the key on my Vista install, so I haven't done any
testing yet, but I'm rebooting now to set the bios clock and see how
things go.

If you follow the links you see that with XP it looses sync once or
twice a day, which is crazy, so I would avoid doing this trick with
XP.

With Vista the only issues I found were that some games like flight
simulator mess with the hardware clock and expect it to be local time.
 I don't use this laptop for games, so that's fine with me.

I assume Win7 takes the same registry hack.

Greg

Okay it worked for about an hour!

I set the above referenced registry key in Vista, then I rebooted it
and all was good.

Now an hour later I look down and my current time is showing the UTC
time. Not good, but at least its an obvious error.

Maybe they have it fixed in Win7 as Carlos has heard.

The crazy part is that it seems the basic windows design calls for the
user to change their bios clock every time they change timezones.
That is just hard for me to believe.

Greg