Re: [opensuse] How to cause Kmail to retrieve mail from a local file?
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:37:07 +0200
At 23:04:22 on Thursday Thursday 11 November 2010, "Carlos E. R."
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday, 2010-11-11 at 16:12 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
At 12:22:33 on Thursday Thursday 11 November 2010, "Carlos E. R." <>

I suppose, but do not know, that Kmail can check the local mailbox
every N minutes, as it does in the case of remote servers. I don't
see a way to synchronize Kmail with procmail, but that would only
mean that Kmail may collect new mail a few minutes later than it
would if it were synced, which isn't that important for most (except
fire-engine dispatchers).

You will have to test this, because I don't remember.

I know that, for example, thunderbird doesn't notice at all when
procmail adds a new post to a folder. Worse, the index gets out of
sync and reading corrupts. You have to restart thunderbird completely
- and this doesn't happens with dovecot, via imap (part of the

So you will have to test this with kmail. I remember that after not
using it for a few months it had to reindex all the folders again, and
this took a very long time. It was aparently hung.

I'm rethinking the whole matter in the light of several points that were
made in the thread.

Did you try Thunderbird with Dovecot?

Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on