Re: [opensuse] How to cause Kmail to retrieve mail from a local file?
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:37:07 +0200
At 23:04:22 on Thursday Thursday 11 November 2010, "Carlos E. R."
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday, 2010-11-11 at 16:12 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
At 12:22:33 on Thursday Thursday 11 November 2010, "Carlos E. R." <>
wrote:

I suppose, but do not know, that Kmail can check the local mailbox
every N minutes, as it does in the case of remote servers. I don't
see a way to synchronize Kmail with procmail, but that would only
mean that Kmail may collect new mail a few minutes later than it
would if it were synced, which isn't that important for most (except
fire-engine dispatchers).

You will have to test this, because I don't remember.

I know that, for example, thunderbird doesn't notice at all when
procmail adds a new post to a folder. Worse, the index gets out of
sync and reading corrupts. You have to restart thunderbird completely
- and this doesn't happens with dovecot, via imap (part of the
protocol).

So you will have to test this with kmail. I remember that after not
using it for a few months it had to reindex all the folders again, and
this took a very long time. It was aparently hung.

I'm rethinking the whole matter in the light of several points that were
made in the thread.

Did you try Thunderbird with Dovecot?

--
Stan Goodman