Re: [opensuse] BIOS/GRUB Problem
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:04:14 +0200
On Sunday 07 November 2010 17:05:19 Felix Miata wrote:
On 2010/11/07 16:22 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
Felix Miata wrote:
Are you sure? Did you hit ESC at startup instead of typing in
DFSWORK2.TXT and hitting<enter>? Did you start DFSee from floppy
or CD and have no writable space available to save the log?

As always, you are right. Clearly at some point I zigged when I
should have zagged. The log file is
at<http://susepaste.org/29420363>. It will be up for one day, which I
hope is sufficient. (I can repost it later if necessary.)

I don't know where those spurrious line feeds came from. Maybe next
paste try pastebin.com. The wrapping in susepaste.org's narrow window
is uncool too.

You will also notice that the labels of the two HDs are not Seagate
and Hitachi. But it is clear from the disk numbers that the first is
the Seagate disk and the second is the Hitachi.

Actually, the labels do include Seagate & Hitachi, as the following
excerpt from the log shows:

+-<disk 1>--</dev/hda >--<Disk2 - D1Seagate>-----
+-<disk 2>--</dev/hdb >--<Disk2 - D2Hitachi>-----

I'll take your word for it.

It's just that the table DFSDOS.EXE outputs doesn't provide space for
labels so long. I suggest next time you open DFSee that you delete the
misleading prefaces in those LVM disk labels, leaving only the words
Seagate and Hitachi.

What seems evident from those LVM labels is that at some point the
BIOS, and thus likely the 11.3 installer during installation, had the
Seagate enumerated as the #2 HD, explaining a piece of the puzzle that
caused this 11.3 mess in the first place.

I made those labels to remind that they were both being called Disk2. None
of it is an artefact of the BIOS or of 11.3.

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Dfsee/sgdfswork2.txt is your log with the
clutter trimmed away.

So what have we learned from the log?

--