Re: [opensuse] Printing from Windows Computers to Suse Printers
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:57:02 -0500
On 10/24/2010 01:08 PM, Bob Williams wrote:
On Sunday 24 Oct 2010 00:07:18 Michael S. Dunsaavage wrote:
On 10/23/2010 2:50 PM, Bob Williams wrote:
Are you allowing both smb

and nmb in the suse firewall?

I have "Samba Server" under Allowed Services. I thought both services
would be included under that heading.

Nope. Allow netbios in firewall. Alos make sure nmbd is running.

Done this.

Can you connect via the machine IP instead

of hostname?

No

can you not connect at all or just to the printer? can you do

As steted in another reply, I can connect in Windows Explorer (which I hadn't
thought of trying), but not through the Network connection wizardry.

$ smbclient -L <hostname or IP> and get a listing?

18:34 barrowhillfarm:~> sudo smbclient -L sputnik
Enter root's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

The desktop machine running linux is called 'barrowhillfarm'
The laptop running Windows is called 'sputnik'
The Workgroup containing both of the above is called 'BARROWHILLFARM'

what about just

smbclient -U<regular user name> -Lbarrowhillfarm

also IIRC, there is a limit of 11 characters to the netbios 'workgroup' name. If
that still applies the workgroup name 'BARROWHILLFARM' could be your problem.
Try changing it to 'BHFARM' and see if that helps.

Also, set log level = 10 in smb.conf and restart smbd. That will make the logs
really chatty and can help ID the problem.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC