[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] Atheros 2413 no longer works after zypper dup
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 10:18:09 -0500
On 10/15/2010 04:44 PM, Peter Nikolic wrote:
On Friday 15 Oct 2010 22:35:02 Larry Stotler wrote:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Peter Nikolic

Right i am the person with the problem the ath5k driver seems to
support the chipset in question very well and has done for best part of
12 months without problems this all started after i did an "zypper up"
not "zypper dup" as reported by Sid it seems it is a yast failure to
correctly configure the networking as i have connected from the
command line instantly using the ath5k driver

Ok, I was mistaken. They must have added support at some point. I
remember that was the case in 11.0.

Sorry.
thats ok no problem ...

Pete .

Pete,

Give us a 'rpm -qa | grep wifi' Make sure the packages are all of the
same
version. Yast/zypper will try and update pieces of madwifi, but not all, so you
can end up with mixed versions.

Second, there (are/have been) chipset ID errors with atheros AR242x
chips and
madwifi -> ath5k. Where the chipset lookup in
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/modules.alias is wrong. I bugged this several
months before 11.0 end of life, but don't know if it was ever fixed. There were
going to fix it for newer releases.

If there was a kernel change in your 'zypper dup' (presumably there
was), you
may be facing this problem. If so, try dropping back to an older driver version
or using ath_pci instead of ath5k.

Good luck.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.