Re: [opensuse] Opensuse won't boot after Win 7 install
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:39:46 -0400
On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 11:08 -0400, Chuck Payne wrote:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2010/10/15 10:09 (GMT-0400) Chuck Payne composed:

That is because Windows over wrote the the grubs. It's always best to
install Windows then openSUSE or any Linux.

Only occasionally is that actually true. The problem is the virtual
inevitability of Windows needing to be _re-installed_. Do you expect
everyone
to re-install Linux after each re-installation of Windows? That's ludicrous!

Instead, plan for the re-installation of Windows, in part by not needing
Grub
on the MBR in the first place, instead being content to use _standard_ MBR
code for all installed operating systems, and install Grub always and only
on
a partition. http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html gives a short
course how.
http://old-en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F
confirms the preference for partition installation location for Grub.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

What I meant, before it become a flame war, is when I install a new
system. I install Windows then Linux. You are right. I only stated so
that he understands that Windows will overwrite grub on the master
boot record.

:-)

Hi,
thanks for the info about installing win first then Opensuse. I did
know that, what I was addressing was the eventuality that one would have
to install windows second.

In my case, I had an xp install disk from the original computer that I
rebuilt. However, when I tried to install it after replacing all the
parts inside, I found that xp wouldn't install. My best guess is that
dell keyed it to the old system.

So I installed Suse first, then a few days later made a trip to the
computer store to buy the Win7 install disk. I installed it last night,
and of course it overwrote the MBR.

I wanted to detail the process of how to get opensuse to boot after the
mbr grub has been overwritten. The process I wrote about reinstalls
grub to the mbr.

Felix is right too, it is preferable to use a separate partition to
install grub to. But I only have the two systems on this computer, win7
and opensuse. So I just write to the MBR and leave it at that.

If I ever install other linux systems, I would put grub in a seperate
partition to boot from, then put each individual system's grub or
bootloader in root and chainload that system's bootloader. It would be
like this:

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?p=861282

I did this on an old computer one time and had 12 differant linux
distros booting on the computer, just for fun.

Thanks for the help and the comments, Chuck & Felix.