Re: [opensuse] kde 4.5.2 - still can't place focus in konqueror in detail view with selection markers off
  • From: Peter Van Lone <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:37:28 -0500
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx> wrote:

So I claim using CTRL and SHIFT for selecting files is rather less straight-
fowrward because you cannot know about it without learning it or reading about
it since there are no hints in the GUI. Why CTRL and not ALT? Why SHIFT for
selecting one way and CTRL the other, why not the other way around? Why is a
key that is used to switch to uppercase used for selecting multiple files,
where is the obvious link between the two features to map them to the same
key? Where is the logic? Or was it not rather something set-up artificially
and learnt rather than a good design usability-wise?

of course it was learned - as any behavior is. So a couple generations
now of people have learned this way - that is a huge number of
computer-users. My 10 yr old daughter knows this process very well and
learned it very easily. Now you want her to "learn" another way which
YOU think is easier/better because it is hinted in the GUI. But -
perhaps SHE feels that it is clumsy and not as good as the way she has
learned. Who is right? Which opinion is the better one -- and which
approach will feel most comfortable for the greatest number of people,
which would most people choose if they had a choice?

I don't know the answer to many of these questions, and here is the
thing: NEITHER DO YOU - so why would you run about making changes to
default behavior (and preventing the "old way" from working, at the
same time) based solely upon YOUR OWN choices?

Common sense?

lol! Get serious -- there is no more "common sense" then there is
magical intuition, when it comes to the design of a GUI for a computer
system. Please.

How do you know about CTRL being linked to slecting multiple
files? Did you guess? Was it obvious? Was it a hint the GUI gave you? You
learnt it.

again - of course it was learned. By many millions of people for many
years -- yet you would simply dismiss this shared learning and move to
something that YOU decide is clearly better. Again, my question: based
on what? It appears no study or systematic information gathering, so
it is your own (and others, clearly) judgment.

Hmmm